Updating a table drives me crazy

Hi folks,
it’s been some time since I coded in PHP so please be patient with me. I’m currently working on a roster for our model railroad club and came to the point where I need to update a table. The code:

<?php
             if(!empty($_POST))
             {
                  $id             = $_POST['id'];
                  $power          = $_POST['power'];
                  $engtype        = $_POST['engtype'];
                  $wheels         = $_POST['wheels'];
                  $owner          = htmlspecialchars($_POST['owner']);
                  $marks          = htmlspecialchars($_POST['marks']);
                  $last           = $_POST['last'];
                  $next           = $_POST['next'];
                  $make           = $_POST['make'];
                  $decoder        = $_POST['decoder'];
                  $pic            = $_POST['pic'];
                  $sichern        = 'UPDATE engines SET traction = '.$power.',entype =       '.$engtype.',wheels = '.$wheels.',
                                     owner = '.$owner.',marks = '.$marks.',last_service = '.$last.',next_service = '.$next.',
                                     en_photo = '.$pic.',manufacturer = '.$make.',decoder = '.$decoder.' WHERE en_id = "'.$id.'"';
                  $res            = mysqli_query($con,$sichern);
                  if($res)
                      {
                          echo '<h2>These data heve been saved:</h2>';
                      }else{
                         // Output test
                        echo mysqli_error($con);
                        echo '<br>Feld traction - Wert: '.$power;
                        echo '<br> entype: '.$engtype;
                       echo '<br> wheels: '.$wheels;
                        echo '<br> owner: '.$owner.'     marks: '.$marks.'     last_service: '.$last;
                        echo '<br> next_service: '.$next.'     en_phote: '.$pic.'     manufacturer: '.$make;
                        echo '<br> decoder: '.$decoder;
                    }
                    echo '
                           <form action="engines.php" method="POST">

<table>
                                        <tr><td>Record # : </td><td>'.$id.'</td></tr>
                                        <tr><td>Power type : </td><td>'.$power.'</td></tr>
                                        <tr><td>Engine Type : </td><td>'.$engtype.'</td></tr>
                                        <tr><td>Wheel Arrangement : </td><td>'.$wheels.'</td></tr>
                                        <tr><td>Owner : </td><td>'.$owner.'</td></tr>
                                        <tr><td>Reporting Marks : </td><td>'.$marks.'</td></tr>
                                        <tr><td>Last serviced : </td><td>'.$last.'</td></tr>
                                        <tr><td>Next Service due : </td><td>'.$next.'</td></tr>
                                        <tr><td>Manufacturer : </td><td>'.$make.'</td></tr>
                                        <tr><td>Decoder : </td><td>'.$decoder.'</td></tr>
                                        <tr><td>Photo : </td><td>'.$pic.'</td></tr>
                                        <tr>&nbsp;</td><td><input type="submit" value="OK"></td></tr>
                                </table>
                          </form> ';
                        }else{

When I execute the query ($sichern), I get this error message:
“You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'O,marks = B&O 1401,last_service = 2021-05-02,next_service = 2021-08-25, ’ at line 2”

All values coming from the input form are strings. Same goes for the table fields - they are CHAR-fields with various lengths. Could it be that PHP 7.4 doesn’t like an ampersand in a string field? Not even after I converted to an HTML-entity? I am stumped and running out of ‘wisdom’. Actually feel like I code for the first time.
Can anybody help me out here? If needed, I can provide a URL to the test site.
Thanks in advance,
Erhard

Hello Erhard,

I believe the problem lies in the fact that the values you’re trying to update in your table with a wrong query. First, please try to output the whole query that gets executed with something like var_dump($sichern) or similar.

However, my bet is on the fact that the values of the updates values are not within quotation marks ('). You will want to write your query with double quotation marks so it will look like this:

$sichern        = "UPDATE engines SET traction = '{$power}', entype = '{$engtype}', wheels = '{$wheels}', owner = '{$owner}',

... etc

";

Try this first and also escape your query with: https://www.php.net/manual/en/mysqli.real-escape-string.php for security purposes.

Let me know how it went, I will try to help you.

Thanks a bunch! That did the trick. Problem solved…
Erhard